To Be Eligible Applicants Must:
- Be enrolled as a student in a Richland or Lexington County School (but students from other counties can make a special request to apply.).
- Make application during their 8th or 9th grade year for participation as a 9th or 10th grader.
- Desire to develop and utilize their leadership skills.
- Attendance is required at 80% of all sessions and field instruction. The sessions generally about three evening/late afternoon sessions each month with five Saturdays throughout the year.
- About 12 hours per month total.
- Every effort will be made to avoid conflicts with other school functions.
- Excused absences from the program may be allowed under certain pre-arranged circumstances.
- Participation in group community projects.
- Participation in the personal application interviews (spring 2018), the Youth Corps Orientation (spring 2018) and the Leadership Weekend (August 2018) are mandatory.
- Applications must be completely filled out and mailed or emailed in by July 16.
- If emailing, email to: email@example.com & copy firstname.lastname@example.org
- One letter of recommendation is required.
- Copy of your latest report card.
- There is no fee to apply.
- Cost: A $50.00 registration fee is due at Orientation for those accepted into the program. Total cost is $975 for the Youth Corps experience. Scholarship help is available for students who have a demonstrated need. To apply for a scholarship, go to www.youthcorps.net and download a Scholarship Application, fill it out and mail it in with your application.
- Application must be filled out by the student.
- Payment plans are available for monthly, quarterly or yearly installments.
- Each student is responsible for transportation to and from each site for each session. Sessions are at different sites throughout the Midlands.
- Have a personal interview with the selection committee.
- Questions? Call 803-587-9162.